Raw Spewage

Updates from the battlefield ... fighting and winning against Lyme disease. Lyme bacteria rarely travels alone, by the way... so not only am I infected with Lyme bacteria but it brought along friends Babesia and Bartonella. It's one big keg party in here. But guess what? The party is OVER, boys. I am hammering you with IV meds and you are making me so ill as you fight back... yeah, you SUCK. But my meds are bigger and better and kicking your little bug asses to the curb. I win. =)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Palo Alto, California, United States

Writing has always been the best way for me to communicate my thoughts. And since my thoughts spew forth as raw, scattered, and random musings... the term "Raw Spewage" seemed quite appropriate.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Baby Feet

Every time I see Doctor, he checks my feetby running a pointy thing down the bottoms. Why? I have no idea and he checks so many different things that I never bothered to ask. THIS time, however, he kept doing it and it started to annoy me. "Why do you keep doing that? It kind of hurts."

He looked at me and smiled. "This is HUGE, Wendy. HUGE."
And then he explained why...

One of the things that doctors check on babies is their response when you run a pointy object down the soles of their feet... it is called the Babinski's reflex:
  • Babinski's reflex occurs when the big toe moves toward the top of the foot and the other toes fan out after the sole of the foot has been firmly stroked.
    This reflex, or sign, is normal in younger children, but abnormal after the age of 2.

For as long as he has been testing my feet, they have had a BABY response and my big toe moved up with my other toes fanning out. But this time? They reacted normally! They curled under and did normal stuff! For the first time!!

So what does this mean? Doctor said that this means my brain is healing. I don't totally get the whole brain/feet connection but I *do* get that it is healing... and talk about fascinating.... let me tell you that when you brain starts making connections again, the most random stuff pops in your head. Like... well I just remembered my phone number from when I was a kid.

838-2974

Useless but there it is.

Doctor laughed and said, "Well, expect more of that because you can now access that info when before you couldn't... your brain doesn't know that it's useless, it's just making connections and allowing you to access it again. Random, yes, but important. Say to yourself "Thanks for sharing" and feel good that things are starting to work again.

What a ride this has been. What a ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home